How To Remove Stains On Copper Roof Shingles – If you live in a home more than a few years old, then you probably have noticed dark spots on shingles. These spots are not dirt, as you might think, but actually a very hardy type of algae that loves to live (and eat) your copper roof shingles. The algae actually because some damage to your roof in the short term, but over time can wear away the newer models of shingles containing limestone filler that is “leaking” to the algae. Fortunately there is an easy way to get rid of these stains. You need a cloudy, dry day, and are careful when working on the roof.
First steps to remove stains on copper roof shingles, prepare yourself and your house. Make sure you wear old clothes that can get dirty and that will not ride up while you’re on the roof. Your shoes should have good soles that will not slip, even if the shingles get wet. Although oxygen bleach is considered”green” cleaning products, it can kill plants if applied directly (that is why you are using it on algae). Protect Sheet in the home by covering it with light plastic tarpaulins. Mix cleaning solution in the syringe pump. Oxygen bleach comes in a powder that you mix with water only. You will need to refer to the manufacturer’s specific measurements, because each mix is slightly different. Add two cups of vinegar to the mix when you are ready to mix bleach.
12 Photos Gallery of: How To Remove Stains On Copper Roof Shingles
Next steps to remove stains on copper roof shingles, treating shingles on your roof. Spray them with a heavy coating of the cleaning mixture. It will kill the algae in the next 30 minutes. If the day is sunny, then you will need to reapply the cleaner again every 5 to 10 minutes to keep the shingles from drying out. If it is cloudy, then evaporation should not be a problem. Scrub down the copper roof shingles. Start at the top of the roof and work your way across and down roof shingles spray with the garden hose and scrub them with your push broom. Be very careful to always spray down the roof rather than up. Rinse off any plants around your home to make sure they did not get hit with concentrated bleach and vinegar mixture.